Columbus Junction Public Library
Gifts and Donation Policy
1. The Columbus Junction Public Library welcomes gifts of library materials, money or real property. These gifts help enrich and improve public library resources.
2. Endowment and legacies left in trust of the Board of Trustees shall be invested in interest-bearing US Government bonds or other like securities.
3. All gifts of articles, books, rare items, etc. donated to CJPL shall become the property of the Library and shall be used, displayed, or disposed of as the Board deems fitting and proper, according to the gift agreement.
4. Specific money given as memorial book gifts will be directed to the Friends of the Library, which is separate from the city's general fund.
5. Appraisals will not be given on individual items. However, the Library staff will assist the patron in finding appraisal sources.
6. Memorial books or other library materials may be donated in honor of a friend or relative, and may or may not be marked with a bookplate.
7. Used books and paperbacks can often be used in the Library's collection. Items not needed by the Library may be sold, disposed of, or given away at the discretion of the Library Director and/or Board of Trustees.
8. Generally, CJPL does not accept textbooks or books in poor physical condition.
9. CJPL may or may not accept donations of specialized collections. A decision will be made on an individual basis by the Library Director and the Board of Trustees.
10. CJPL applies the same criteria for evaluating gift items as it applies to purchase material. Gifts will be withdrawn in the same manner as purchased material. The Library does not accept responsibility for notifying donors or withdrawal or replacement of gift items.
11. No gifts are accepted unless given to CJPL without restriction. All gifts may be utilized, sold or disposed of in the best interest of the Library. All donations are accepted only if the Library Director and the Board of Trustees feels they can be utilized by the patrons.
Adopted 04/2000; reviewed 06/2002; reviewed 03/2009; reviewed 01/2016
Adopted 4/2000; revised6/2000; reviewed 3/09; revised 8/14/2012; reviewed 01/2016