Columbus Junction Public Library
Iowa Communications Network (ICN) Policy
1. The Iowa Communications Network (ICN) is a statewide fiber optic communications infra-structure that provides full motion, two-way, interactive, voice and data capabilities. The purpose of this policy is to define the use of the ICN by the Library and its patrons.
2. The Library offers access to the ICN in a meeting room it shares with the City of Columbus Junction. ICN access fits the Library’s mission of serving “all the individuals of the community by assembling and managing a collection of books and other materials, including current technology, to promote education, provide recreation, stimulate the communication of ideas and consequently to enrich and enhance the personal lives of those served”.
3. Primary use of the ICN room is for city activities and meetings. When the room is not being used for city purposes, it may be available to any authorized ICN user as identified in the Iowa Code between the hours of 9a.m. and 8:00 p.m. on Monday through Friday and 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. on Saturday. Final decision on availability is delegated to the Library Director or his/her designee and will be considered on a case to case basis. The Library reserves the right to cancel any scheduled activity if circumstances require it. Fees incurred for meetings will be at the current posted rate to be paid in advance. The authorized user is responsible for all ICN telecommunications charges incurred.
4. ICN Room reservations must be made in advance by contacting or visiting the Library.
5. Cancellations made less than 48 hours in advance may result in the user being billed by the ICN.
6. Permission to use the ICN room does not imply endorsement of, or agreement with, the purpose(s) of or the expressions of such individuals or organizations by the Library, the Library Board, or the staff.
7. Use of ICN equipment may require training. This must be scheduled with Library staff prior to the actual ICN session.
8. The user of the ICN must comply with the “American Disabilities Act” and is responsible for providing qualified interpreters or auxiliary aids if requested.
9. No eating, drinking, smoking or chewing of tobacco products is allowed in the ICN room.
10. Authorized users are responsible for any damage to furniture, fixtures, or equipment. The user is responsible for leaving the ICN room in good order. Failure to leave the room in good order, misconduct, loss of or damage to Library property are grounds to refuse any user and m ay result in the immediate termination of the meeting or event.
11. Use of transmission of copyrighted material without prior approval of the copyright holder is prohibited. Appropriate use of copyrighted material is the responsibility of the authorized user. As provided in the Iowa Code section 8D13(12), classes K-12 may use the ICN room free of charge during the hours of 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Any other entity that uses the room will be charged the current posted room use fee.
adopted 2/2002; reviewed 12/05; 3/09; 8/8/2012; reviewed 12/2015