Columbus Junction Public Library
Sex Offenders Against Minors Policy
1. In accordance with Chapter 692A of Subtitle 1 of Title 16 of the Code of Iowa, the Board of Trustees prohibits the presence of sex offenders convicted of sex offenses against minors upon or within 300 feet of library property without written permission of the Library Director.
2. The Library Director may only give written permission as the result of a vote at a meeting of the Board of Trustees at which a quorum is present.
3. Persons barred from library property under the law remain entitled to library service. It is the responsibility of the library user to arrange for a courier to select, check out, and return materials to the library through possession of the library user’s card.
4. Persons barred from library property under the law will not be served by the library’s homebound delivery service.
5. The issuance of a library card to individuals who have been convicted of a sex offense involving a minor does not grant those individuals permission to enter the library or to be present on library property. Individuals convicted of a sex offense against a minor must follow proper library procedures and policies to request and obtain written permission to be on library property, regardless of whether or not they possess a valid library card.
6. Suspicious persons or persons who appear to be “loitering” will be reported to the police to be checked out and investigated.
7. Background checks will be performed using the National Sex Offender Registry on all employees, potential employees, and volunteers who are or will be working on library property.
8. Violations of this policy will be immediately reported to law enforcement.
adopted 8/2009; reviewed 8/2012; reviewed 01/2016