Gifts & Endowments Policy
1. The Library welcomes gifts of library materials, money or real property. These gifts help enrich and improve public library resources.
2. Endowment and legacies left in trust of the Board of Trustees shall be invested per rules and regulations of the City of Columbus Junction.
3. All gifts of articles, books, rare items, etc. donated to the Library shall become the property of the Library, and therefore, property of the City of Columbus Junction and shall be used, displayed, or disposed of as the Board deems fitting and proper, in agreement with appropriate City policy/procedure.
4. Funds given directly to the library are considered city funds and will be deposited in the city’s funds and will be used toward monthly expenses of running the library. If those making the gift or memorial wish for the gift/memorial to be used for a specific purpose, gifts should be donated to Friends of the Columbus Junction Public Library.
5. Appraisals will not be given on individual items. However, the Library staff will assist the patron in finding appraisal sources.
6. Memorial books or other library materials may be donated in honor of a friend or relative, and every effort will be made to mark with a special bookplate.
7. Used books and paperbacks can often be used in the Library's collection. Items not needed by the Library may be sold, disposed of, or given away at the discretion of the Library Director and/or Board of Trustees and in agreement with appropriate city policy.
8. Generally, the Library does not accept textbooks or books in poor physical condition.
9. The Library may or may not accept donations of specialized collections. A decision will be made on an individual basis by the Library Director and the Board of Trustees.
10. The Library applies the same criteria for evaluating gift items as it applies to purchase material. Gifts will be withdrawn in the same manner as purchased material. The Library does not accept responsibility for notifying donors or withdrawal or replacement of gift items.
11. No gifts are accepted unless given to the Library without restriction. All gifts may be utilized, sold or disposed of in the best interest of the Library. All donations are accepted only if the Library Director and the Board of Trustees feels they can be utilized by the patrons.
Written February 2000
Adopted April 2000
Revised June 2002
Reviewed March 2009
Reviewed January 2016
Amended August 2019